Fixing OSX’s Broken External Display Support

I have two external monitors on my iMac – both connected via mini-DP to DP cables. I didn’t want to spend the money Apple charges for displays, so these are third-party displays with specs very similar to Apple’s displays.

But…the text on them looks like crap. It’s jagged, blocky, and just generally ugly – why? The iMac built-in monitor displays text beautifully.

It turns out that if I go to About This Mac, then to System Report, then to Graphics/Displays, I can see the problem: OSX thinks my two external monitors are televisions. This has color space issues and causes anti-aliasing of text to be disabled. In other words, the display noticeably looks like crap.

I suspect this is a way for Apple to discourage use of third party hardware – I’d like to believe it isn’t, but since my displays have a native resolution unlike that of any TV, it would be simple for Apple to differentiate between TV and monitor. Even better, they could provide an easy interface to override this guess. Besides, Windows and Linux look beautiful on these monitors without any tweaking, so unless anyone thinks Apple lacks the brilliant minds of Microsoft, this isn’t an impossible problem to solve – particularly because Apple has had many years to fix it.

Back to the topic, how do you fix it? Fortunately, others have figured out how to deal with this problem – rather than repeating the solution here, just go to the I Reckon blog and read Force RGB mode in Mac OS X to fix the picture quality of an external monitor .

A Fix for Perl SSL on MacOS X 10.11

UPDATE (August 12, 2017) – Check out Tom Vander Aa’s comment in the comments. His solution is better than my solution in the original post – it has much less chance of breaking other stuff that uses OpenSSL.

ORIGINAL:

When trying to install some Perl Programming Language modules on MacOS X, using a perlbrew-built perl, I was getting some weird linking errors with various OpenSSL headers.  Here’s an example from Net::SSLeay:

laptop$ cpan install Net::SSLeay
...
Configuring M/MI/MIKEM/Net-SSLeay-1.72.tar.gz with Makefile.PL
CPAN::Reporter not installed.  No reports will be sent.
*** Found OpenSSL-0.9.8z installed in /usr
*** Be sure to use the same compiler and options to compile your OpenSSL, perl,
    and Net::SSLeay. Mixing and matching compilers is not supported.
...
cc -c   -fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -I/usr/local/include -O3   -DVERSION=\"1.72\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.72\"  "-I/Users/jmaslak/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.22.1/lib/5.22.1/darwin-2level/CORE"   SSLeay.c
SSLeay.xs:163:10: fatal error: 'openssl/err.h' file not found
#include <openssl/err.h>
         ^
1 error generated.
make: *** [SSLeay.o] Error 1
  MIKEM/Net-SSLeay-1.72.tar.gz
  /usr/bin/make -- NOT OK

I highlighted the interesting parts – I run homebrew on my Mac to manage development tools and the like. Sure enough, it had installed openssl already:

laptop$ brew install openssl
Warning: openssl-1.0.2e already installed

Hmmm, version 1.0.2e, which doesn’t look like the 0.9.8z that Net::SSLeay found.

A bit of Googling and scratching my head and I found the magic incantation:

laptop$ brew link openssl --force

Once that was done, I could successfully install Net::SSLeay and other SSL Perl modules.  I’m guessing that the links broke sometime during an OS upgrade. Hopefully this post will save you a bit of time!